Just finished listening to the “interview” with Eagles GM Tom Heckert over at PE.com. I like Tom better than Reid because the guy actually shows some emotion. In other words, he offers more than monosyllabic answers. Of course, you still can’t read much into what little information he provides, but he does seem to have a couple “tells.”
I listened between the lines and came away with a few impressions. I’m not going to directly quote from the interview because I wasn’t motivated enough to transcribe it. I’ll just write in generalities.
- He mentioned at least three times about the possibility of moving up in the first round. He was confident they had more than enough to get into the Top 5. I still think there is a good chance they will trade up to get somebody.
- He made it clear that there are plenty of running backs available throughout the draft. Even in rounds 5 and 6. I don’t think they will wait past the third round before grabbing a back.
- He was emphatic that defense is extremely important. He wants to have the #1 defense in the league, not the #3. I’m really beginning to think a defensive player will be selected very early. No one is talking linebacker, but I’m not convinced the braintrust is completely pleased with Gaither, Gocong and Jordan.
- He compared Nick Cole to a third cornerback. A starter, but not necessarily a starter, if that makes sense.
- He said taking an offensive lineman early (i.e. round 1) is not imperative. Reid said the same thing a few weeks ago. Hmm? Most fans and virtually every draft pundit have penciled in an O-lineman in the opening round. This could all be smoke and mirrors, but I say unless they move way up, a lineman in the first round may not be in their plans.
Just a few more tidbits to ponder in the next ten days.