Jeff McLane says the Arizona Republic said the Eagles did attempt to trade for that grumpy receiver from the Cardinals prior to April’s draft. The offer was reportedly a third-round pick and Sheldon Brown.
I’m done with the Boldin talk, but I found a few things intriguing about this story.
- If they unloaded Brown and acquired Boldin, would they still have taken JMac? Obviously, they had no idea Maclin would slip to them at 21, so it raises the question, “What would they have done in the first round?”
- With Boldin in house, the “need” for JMac would have been lessened. I suppose they could have taken him anyway, but it seems unlikely, especially with a hole at right cornerback.
- If Maclin was a scratch, would they have gone cornerback? Vontae Davis was available at 21. There was chatter the Birds liked him. If not, they could have traded out of the first, gotten the third-round pick back, and taken someone like Darius Butler, who is also a return man. Oh, the possibilities!
- Speaking of a corner/return man. If they did dump Sheldon, did they know Ellis Hobbs would be available? Reid stated after the draft that they wanted a cornerback, but the “board didn’t fall their way.” Thus the reason for acquiring Hobbs. But they already had Brown. Hmm….
- Now that they have both Brown and Hobbs, does that mean Sheldon is still on the block? If they were willing to trade him pre-draft with the understanding that they would have a major hole on the right side, then why not ship him elsewhere (if possible) since Hobbs can step in and start? Or are we looking at Sheldon getting the Lito freeze-out treatment?
“He [Brown] ultimately won’t even be playing before the end of the season. It’s a known fact. I hope they prove me wrong.”
I soured on Sheppard long ago. His opinions are his own. I think the guy is deluded. Especially after he said this:
“I wish the league would do something,” he said. “[In my situation], you feel like you’re doing everything right, perfect teammate, working hard, doing everything you’re supposed to do, but it doesn’t work out in the end. There should be some rules of guidelines. You shouldn’t be able to devalue an employee like that.”
WTF! “Doing everything you’re supposed to do.” Really, Lito? Does “everything” include playing like garbage and getting torched for a half-a-dozen touchdowns last year?
I’m done with this clown.
Good luck going 7-9 with the Jets, Lito. Maybe you’ll remove your head from your posterior this season so the Iggles can get a second-round pick. Of course, this would require you “working hard” and remembering how to do your job.