It was another far from perfect win for the Eagles over an unbelievably bad football team. This week’s victim was the Redskins, who just can’t get out of their own way. The Skins were gracious enough to commit four turnovers on a night when the dysfunctional Birds offense did very little, except for two plays by DeSean Jackson.
Final score: Eagles 27, Redskins 17.
The defense played aggressive and harassed maligned quarterback Jason Campbell all night. To his credit, Campbell – like he always seems to do against Philly – hung in there and battled to the very end. When given time he found the soft spots in the Eagles zone and completed passes. However, a couple botched snaps and a deflected interception return for a touchdown by a new arrival Will Witherspoon proved to be the difference.
A win is a win, but this one was anything but pretty. Here are a few observations:
- The offense continues to confound. They can’t run the ball, have trouble pass protecting even when they have the numbers advantage and struggle to find and hit open receivers consistently. Toss out the two dynamic plays from DeSean and they accumulated only 126 yards. Not good.
- Yet another injury for Westbrook. At least it wasn’t his legs. A concussion might keep him out of next week’s crucial game with Big Blue.
- Trent Cole continues to have a career year. His first multi-sack game of the season was one of the game’s highlights. Although, I’d like that foolish offsides penalty back that led to the Skins first score.
- Speaking of highlights. This Witherspoon guy isn’t too shabby. He led the defense with 8 total tackles, a forced fumble sack and the aforementioned pick six. It was a great debut for Spoon. I still wonder if he has enough bulk to handle the likes of Jacobs, Barber and Turner.
- Hey, Michael Vick completed a pass. Hooray! Other than that, he didn’t do much. His involvement is becoming less not more as the season progresses.
- Did my eyes deceive me or was that Brodrick Bunkley with a sack? He played his best game of the year thus far with six total tackles. If he could add a few more sacks, he would get Pro Bowl consideration.
- I guess no one decided to play defense on the Devin Thomas TD. Ugly!
- Shady needs to stop dancing. He isn’t decisive in his cuts and has to hit the hole quicker. Watching Westy and him run is night and day. Also, he got McNabb killed by blowing a cut-block on a blitz.
- Jackson had 136 yards and two scores on three touches. Why only three touches? He’s not getting the ball nearly enough.
- Speaking of not getting the rock. Jason Avant has disappeared. Second straight game without a catch. Celek was also a non-factor with only three grabs for a meager eight yards. This pair can help solve the third down woes, but they must get the ball.
- A feast or famine attack is going to cost them again unless they get more guys involved. I want to see a 10-12 play scoring drive.
- Jason Babin notched a sack and seemed to get good pressure when he played.
- 4/15 on third downs is downright awful. Eleven first downs is terrible. Twelve penalties for 66 yards is unacceptable. The little things are killing this team right now. The execution is poor and the mental errors are a concern.
- Don is not setting his feet, especially on third downs. The dirtballs and overthrows are a direct result of happy feet in the pocket. Obviously, better protection will help, but 5 has been around for eleven years. No excuses.
- Saw a lot of Joselio Hanson and not much Ellis Hobbs in the nickle. Hanson is technically the third corner, but he was on the field more than in the previous five games.
- So was Sean Jones, who blew an easy sack late in the game by jumping instead of tackling. Nevertheless, Jones was active and appeared to play well.
- Too many receivers were running free versus the Eagles zone. That needs to be tightened up with the Giants coming to town.
It’s late. I gotta go. I’ll have more later today, including the return of the Cheesesteak of the Week. I’ll take the victory, but lots of things need to be cleaned up before Sunday’s titanic tussle.
Topics: Eagles Beat Redskins 27-17