“Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness I can’t even imagine, or maybe I just don’t want to.”
That quote is from the character Red in the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. Later turned into the motion picture The Shawshank Redemption. Red is referencing what his best friend, fellow prisoner Andy Dusfresne, had to do in order to escape from prison. Crawl through a small septic pipe 500 yards in length.
After watching the Eagles defense in rewind mode for the past few days, all 4 of their losses mind you, I think I’d rather crawl through 500 yards of shit smelling foulness I can’t even imagine. Because I am pretty Goddamn sure I just watched about 500 minutes of shit smelling foulness my brain still can’t process.
Here are some facts for the Eagles defense during this 4 game skid into oblivion:
- The Eagles defense is beaten to the point of attack roughly 72% of the time on running plays. For passing plays where there is a point of attack, the percentage is around 45%.
- Eagles defenders fail to get off of blocks approximately 5 times per play. That means out of 11 defenders, let’s say 8 actually get blocked on any given play. 5 of those people are blocked to the point where they are no factor whatsoever in the play.
- Opposing offenses ran between the tackles for an average of almost 7 yards per carry during this streak.
- The Eagles most consistent tackler doesn’t exist. There is not one person who is a consistent tackler. They are all whiffing on regular intervals.
- 85% of our blitzes get picked up.
- Jason Babin and Trent Cole apparently have been told not to pursue the play to the inside no matter what. There have been instances where both could have started late pursuit but instead chose not too.
- Asante Samuel has refused to engage the opposing ball carrier 13 times in 4 games.
- Casey Matthews got blocked out of the play on 62% of run plays up the middle, 50% outside, and 85% of draws and screens.
- Kurt Coleman has missed his man in his zone an average of 1 time per drive he is in the game.
- Juan Castillo has not yet berate anyone on defense on camera.
- Jim Washburn likes to clap when he encourages his undersized linemen to get after the QB.
- The Eagles have not yet had a big hit on the year. Something to get the defense jacked up. They seem to just want to tackle and get it over with.