The Philadelphia Eagles are in striking distance for a playoff run as we enter the final two weeks of the regular season.
The Philadelphia Eagles odds to make the postseason has risen from 15 percent to 37 percent following the electrifying 30-23 victory over the Los Angeles Rams on Sunday night, according to Five Thirty Eight’s 2018 NFL predictions.
Unfortunately, the Eagles no longer control their own destiny with a 7-7 record, but there are still several realistic possibilities for Philadelphia to make the tournament not only as a wildcard but as NFC East champs.
Here’s a look at the current NFC Playoff landscape.
The New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Rams, and the Chicago Bears all have punched their ticket to the postseason as division champs. The only thing that can change between those three is who is going to claim the number one and two seeds for a first-round bye.
That only leaves the NFC East to be decided. As we all know, the Dallas Cowboys, who are 8-6, currently hold the top spot, but that can, very well, change. More on that later..
The wildcard spot is where it gets really intriguing. In the first spot is the 8-6 Seattle Seahawks who could secure one of the two positions if they win one of the next two games against the Kanas City Chiefs and Arizona Cardinals.
The Minnesota Vikings are sitting in the second wildcard spot with a 7-6-1 record. How the Vikings do in these final two weeks are crucial for the Eagles to slip into playoffs as the second wildcard team.
Here are scenarios where ‘The Birds’ will make the playoffs.
First things first. The Eagles need to take care of their own business by beating the Houston Texans next week and Washington in Week 17.
While there is a scenario where Philadelphia gets in by winning only one of the final two games, the most optimal and realistic for the Eagles is to ‘run the table.’
Scenario 1: Wildcard
- Eagles beat Houston and Washington
- Vikings lose one of last two games versus the Detroit Lions (on the road) or Chicago Bears (at home)
- Panthers lose one of three games remaining (tonight at home against New Orleans, Week 16 at home against the Atlanta Falcons, or on the road to play the Saints again)
Scenario 2: Wildcard
- Eagles win one of two remaining games (Houston or Washington)
- Vikings lose both games (Detroit and Chicago)
- Redskins lose to the Tennessee Titans next week and the Eagles in Week 17
- Panthers lose two of three games remaining (tonight at home against New Orleans, Week 16 at home against the Falcons, or on the road to play the Saints again)
Scenario 3: NFC East Champs
- Eagles win out (Houston and Washington)
- Cowboys lose out (Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home and New York Giants on the road)
This isn’t an easy road.
The 2018 season has not gone exactly how the Eagles predicted, but they are right there to make another strong push toward the Lombardi Trophy. If Philly continues to play lights out like they did in Week 15,, the sky is the limit for them.
So again, buckle up ladies and gentleman because we are in store for an entertaining home stretch.