4. Are the Philadelphia Eagles the same team without Wentz on the field? Do they achieve the same results?
Lamar Jackson won the NFL’s MVP trophy in 2019. Patrick Mahomes did the same in 2018. Both were deserving of that honor in both seasons. Both will be in the conversation again in 2020.
More from Inside the Iggles
- Eagles captains earn high praise on roster blending veteran leadership, youth
- How former Eagles star Cre’Von LeBlanc helped Renegades upstage Cowboys
- Eagles 2023 schedule: Every WR duo Darius Slay, James Bradberry will battle
- Imagining better names for Jason Kelce’s Good Guy Award
- Bold predictions for the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2023
What each man means to his team is indescribable, but the same argument can be made for Wentz. He’s the one player the Eagles can ill afford to lose.
Would Philadelphia have won a division title in 2019 without him? Does anyone believe that Nate Sudfeld would have thrown for 4,000 yards or more without a ton of help or with the same weapons that Wentz had? Don’t the Eagles chances of winning in the Wild Card Game last season increase if “11” had been on the field? Doesn’t that speak to his value?
In 2020, Carson Wentz will again be a preseason candidate for the NFL’s MVP award. His chances of winning it will, most likely, hinge on the types of numbers he produces. Maybe you agree with that. Maybe you don’t. again, an argument can be made for both sides of that one.