Philadelphia Eagles Defeat Washington Redskins, 37-34
Sep 21, 2014; Philadelphia, PA, USA; Philadelphia Eagles center Jason Kelce (62) during pre game warmups before game against the Washington Redskins at Lincoln Financial Field. Mandatory Credit: Eric Hartline-USA TODAY Sports
Quick Six Observations
1) How hilarious was it that Fox News, I mean Sports, kept throwing up the offensive yards and plays in the first quarter? The Eagles ran a kickoff back for a touchdown you idiots. The offense didn’t need the ball to score.
2) Jordan Matthews has arrived. Eight catches, 59 yards, two touchdowns.
3) LeSean McCoy sustained a concussion early in the game and the fact he was allowed to play again shows you everything that’s wrong with the NFL. Sure, Shady wanted to play, begging for his helmet, and he “passed the league protocol,” but anyone who saw that hit and the look on McCoy’s face knows he had no idea where he was or what was going on.
I don’t really give a crap that he “passed” some protocol later. When you’re concussed, your brain is bruised. Bruises need time to heal. Brain bruises lead to slower reactions, which in a game like football only puts players like McCoy at further injury risk.
I’m glad Shady is a gamer and wants to play, and glad it wasn’t a major concussion, but he should not have been allowed back on the field.
4) The Eagles generated no pass rush on Kurt Cousins, giving the backup quarterback time to do a lot of looking at receivers from the pocket. Cousins had a good day, though I’m struggling to figure out what professional quarterback wouldn’t have.
5) The Jason Kelce injury is huge. Hopefully he’s not out long term. The Eagles now have just 2-of-5 starting offensive linemen healthy and available.
6) Jeremy Maclin had a tremendous game, catching eight balls for 154 yards and one touchdown. On a day when so much was made about Jackson, we forget about Maclin, who was probably a little offended by all the talk about the Philly offense taking a nosedive without DeSean. Maclin is a player and today he played. The Eagles are lucky to have him.