1. Do we even know if Zach Ertz is still the Philadelphia Eagles’ best tight end anymore?
Some of you may already know this, but recently, the stat guys over at Pro Football Focus began releasing the top 15 players at every position. When they got to the tight ends, their list demonstrated something that ‘Birds’ fans have known for a while, Philly’s home to two of the game’s top ten.
More from Inside the Iggles
- Eagles captains earn high praise on roster blending veteran leadership, youth
- How former Eagles star Cre’Von LeBlanc helped Renegades upstage Cowboys
- Eagles 2023 schedule: Every WR duo Darius Slay, James Bradberry will battle
- Imagining better names for Jason Kelce’s Good Guy Award
- Bold predictions for the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2023
What many fans weren’t expecting was the curveball. Dallas Goedert actually outranked his teammate and mentor on the list. Some of the reasons why are things Eagles fans everywhere have talked about often. Goedert might be better in one-on-one situations. He’s also a better blocker.
As Ben Linsey, the writer of this one put it, Goedert ‘joins Kittle as one of just two tight ends to post top-10 PFF receiving and run-blocking grades at the tight end position this past season’, but here’s something else. While Ertz tends to go down on first contact, Goedert had shown an ability to shed tacklers with more frequency.
Goedert and Ertz finished sixth and seventh on Linsey’s list respectively (which may be a little low), but ‘Birds’ fans can rest easy in the fact that, unless something drastic happens, they’re on your side for the next 16 regular-season games. The question is what happens after that? Here’s a guess and a bit of a warning. Some of you may not like the answer. Drumroll please.