1. How does everyone feel about the Philadelphia Eagles’ decision to sign Vinny Curry now?
Depending on what side of the coin you’re looking at, you’re either very excited about the Eagles’ reacquisition of Vinny Curry or you’re one of those people who are like ‘blah’.
More from Inside the Iggles
- Eagles captains earn high praise on roster blending veteran leadership, youth
- How former Eagles star Cre’Von LeBlanc helped Renegades upstage Cowboys
- Eagles 2023 schedule: Every WR duo Darius Slay, James Bradberry will battle
- Imagining better names for Jason Kelce’s Good Guy Award
- Bold predictions for the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2023
Sure, the ‘Birds’ weren’t in a position to overspend, especially now that regular season approaches and with their cap being in dire straits for the 2021 season. Philly’s financial woes will take care of themselves though, especially with Howie Roseman working his magic.
Still, even with that being said, the ‘Birds’ had better options than Vinny Curry to sure up this pass rush. Most wouldn’t have been easy acquisitions, but they were available (Jadeveon Clowney, Yannick Ngakoue, or the aforementioned Griffen). Now, that Griffen heads to Texas, he’s a foe and not an ally.
At the end of the day, the long and the short of things is this. Philly’s edge pass rush, with Curry’s addition, isn’t any better than it was a season ago, and Dallas probably got a lot better with the addition of Griffen.
Over the course of his first ten NFL seasons, all of which were with the Minnesota Vikings, Griffen racked up 355 total tackles, including 258 solo stops, and 74.5 sacks. That includes five games versus the ‘Birds’ (four regular-season tilts and that 38-7 trashing in that NFC Championship game).
In those contests, Philly is 3-2, and they’ve been able to limit Griffen to four tackles, a pick, and no sacks (thank Lane Johnson and Jason Peters for that). That’s what you want to hear if you’re an Eagles fan. We’ll have to wait and see if anything changes now that he’s a division rival and ‘The Bodyguard’ is playing right guard.