Chocolate Chip Loaf Cake
Philadelphia is home to Tasty Kake, which makes delicious pre-packaged treats. If you are feeling adventurous, how about this recipe that closely mimics their chocolate chip cookie bar?
- 1 and 3/4 cups (219g) all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (12 Tbsp; 170g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60g) sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120ml) whole milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup (180g) mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C) and generously grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
2. Make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
3. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on medium-high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
4. Add the eggs and beat on high speed for one minute, then beat in the sour cream and vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. The mixture will be very lumpy and appear curdled—that’s ok.
5. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Turn the mixer to low speed and as the mixer runs, slowly pour in the milk. Beat on low speed until all of the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix. You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no large lumps at the bottom of the bowl. The batter will be slightly thick. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour and spread the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan.
7. Bake for about 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. That time is a guideline—all ovens differ, so keep a close eye on the cake after 55 minutes. If the cake is browning too quickly on top, loosely tent it with aluminum foil as it bakes.
Fly Eagles Fly Cocktail
Once the meal is over, Eagles fans of age might want a special drink to enjoy while watching the three NFL games that will be on TV for Thanksgiving. How about this cocktail made primarily with vodka that comes out in a shade of green? It’s the perfect Eagles-themed drink!
Here's what you want to mix.
- 1.5 oz. raspberry vodka
- .5 oz. Blue Curacao
- splash of orange juice
- splash of pineapple juice
- splash of lemon juice