Top Five moments of Philadelphia Eagles 2018 regular season
By Alex DeMarzo
3. Zach Ertz has a historic season.
Since being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2013, tight end, Zach Ertz has been a safety blanket for quarterbacks to throw the ball to.
Over the last few seasons, Ertz has become one of the top receivers on the roster and arguably one of best tight ends in the entire NFL.
More from Inside the Iggles
- Eagles captains earn high praise on roster blending veteran leadership, youth
- How former Eagles star Cre’Von LeBlanc helped Renegades upstage Cowboys
- Eagles 2023 schedule: Every WR duo Darius Slay, James Bradberry will battle
- Imagining better names for Jason Kelce’s Good Guy Award
- Bold predictions for the Philadelphia Eagles offense in 2023
This season Ertz cemented his name in the history books by breaking a number of records.
During Week 13, Ertz broke the record for most receptions in one season by any player in Eagles franchise history. A record that was previously held by running back Brian Westbrook since the 2007 season when he accumulated 90 receptions.
After Week 13, Ertz raked in 93 receptions for 978 yards and six touchdowns.
Ertz also broke the NFL record for most catches in a single-season for a tight end. A record that was previously held by Dallas Cowboys long-time tight end, Jason Witten. During the 2012 campaign, Witten caught 110 receptions. Passing Tony Gonzalez who brought in 102 catches in the 2004 season.
Ertz finished this season with a total of 116 catches for 1,163 yards and eight touchdowns.
Additionally, Ertz was one of the most consistent Eagles’ players all season long. In an injury-riddled season for the Philadelphia, Ertz started all 16 games and caught nearly 75 percent of passes thrown his way.
You can bet Ertz will be a go-to receiver for Foles when the Eagles play their wildcard game against the Bears on Sunday.